Plotgate Community Farm only produces food for its members. Member have access to a range of goods that are produced on a small-scale with low carbon inputs, on our off-grid farm. Knowing exactly where your food has come from, and being able to walk around the farm, even help with the growing, is a rare and wonderful thing! We provide the expertise and the majority of the work, so that you can enjoy the freshest, healthiest food, that is grown with environmental care at its heart.
Who are our member?
Grower Members – Plotgate CSA employs 3 highly committed and hard-working part-time growers who also sit on the of the Board of Directors. Grower members have a 50% share of the vote on any issues put to the membership.
Veg share members– if you are a subscribing veg customer, then your membership fee and benefits are included in your subscription. Weekly of fortnightly, large or small, you are a Plotgate Community Farm member. Your subscriptions give us the continuity of income that we need to plan out veg growing each year.
Volunteer members- our highly valued team of regular volunteers who provide us with a weekly of fortnightly work commitment. Volunteer members control 25% of voting on issues put before the membership.
Investor Members- We have a group of members who bought Community Shares to help us launch Plotgate in 2016- these lovely people are Plotgate Community Farm Members for the duration of their investment. Individuals who supported our crowd-funder were offered membership for a duration of 3 years (until the end of 2019).
Supporter Members– Individuals can also join the farm as supporters for an annual membership fee of-
£12 unwaged per annum
£24 wages per annum
Veg share members, investors and supporters control 25% of voting on issues put to the membership (Customer and supporter members).
What do you get as a Member?
We aim to look after our members, and offer them access to the food, the farm and the fun!
- An invitation to all our events and activities
- A 50% reduction on fees for charged activities e.g. holly wreath making, tree pruning, wool craft workshops etc. The programme varies form year to year and is often subject to members requests.
- A 20% reduction on feast tickets e.g. Plot Roasts, Solstice Suppers and seasonal parties (approximately 6 events each year).
- Volunteering opportunities (we provide all volunteers with some take home veggies)
- Learning opportunities- attend more structured sessions aimed at increasing your skills and knowledge with plant raising and food growing – “The Plotagation Gang”
- Farm visits and tours
- Occassional (rather than regular) veg boxes to order (subject to availability)
- Shetland lamb: We have a small flock of Shetland sheep which produce the finest quality meat and wool. Members can order half a lamb/hogget/ mutton from us, or try our acclaimed Merguez sausages. Individual items e.g. chops and roasting joints are also available subject to availability.
- Shetland wool is also available to members as raw fleeces or as processed “rovings” suitable for spinning and felting.
- Plotgate pork: the Kune Kune pigs are part of our cultivation process and we have occasional meat available to members. This is either sold as pork boxes or as individual packs. All of our meat is reared to high welfare standards and on a small-scale.
We believe that our food gives members a taste of something different.